Created in 1971 on the campus of Howard University for senior minority professionals in the transportation industry, today COMTO is a multi-ethnic, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) association encompassing the professional, educational and business development of transportation professionals at every level of the industry in a variety of fields and disciplines. The organization’s membership includes, transportation agencies, private sector corporations and Historically Underutilized Businesses (HUBs), groups, individuals and nonprofit organizations.
COMTO’s mission is to ensure a level playing field and maximum participation in the transportation industry for minority individuals, businesses and people with disabilities through transportation advocacy, professional development, growth and retention, and diversity and inclusion.
In March 2017, a small group of public and private sector professionals committed to COMTO’s mission founded the Washington state chapter of COMTO. As the 32nd chapter of the national membership organization, COMTO Washington State is working to help minorities and those with disabilities within the transportation industry achieve their professional potential.
COMTO Washington State endeavors to help build capacity in the form of human resources to support the ongoing planning, development, operations and maintenance of our expanding transportation network. COMTO Washington State highlights the local breadth of talent within the industry amongst minority individuals, businesses and communities to help fully leverage the wide range of transportation solutions existing in the region: aviation, highway, ports, transit and urban, regional, freight and high-speed rail. Our internal programming will further help develop existing and new talent and build a pipeline of transportation professionals of all ages in all services, including executive management, legal, accounting, planning, communications, engineering, maintenance and operations.
COMTO Washington State is committed to the goals and objectives as COMTO National:
- Promote the roles and breadth of talent within the industry of minorities and people with disabilities in all aspects of transportation.
- Facilitate the link between public, private, and academic institutions to support professional development in transportation related fields.
- Sponsor and conduct local, state and national forums that will enable the discussion of timely issues and concerns of minorities and those with disabilities.
In addition, COMTO Washington State is working to:
- Provide professional development programs to further develop existing and new talent
- Build a pipeline of transportation professionals of all ages, in all services, including executive leadership, legal, accounting, planning, communications, engineering, mechanics, operations and construction.
- Become a key resource center for Historically Underutilized Businesses (HUBs)
- Collaborate with industry agencies to promote contracting opportunities in Washington and nationwide.